San Diego Padres Fernando Tatis Jr. Suspended
Image via The Spun.
After being out all season due to a broken wrist, San Diego Padres shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr. will not play for the rest of the season, but not because of his injury. Tatis has been punished with an 80-game suspension after testing positive for a sports enhancing drug.
Friday, August 12, the Padres took a major hit losing one of their star players. Tatis has been out since the beginning of the 2022 season after breaking his wrist in a motorcycle accident. He was just days away from returning to his position when he tested positive for the sports enhancing drug, Clostebol. According to the MLB, his suspension runs for the remainder of the season and includes the first 33 games of the 2023 season. If the Padres continue to the playoffs those games will count towards his game penalties.
Tatis said that he took a drug for ringworm, but did not know that it contained Clostebol. Tatis started to appeal the punishment, but changed his mind since it was his action that led to his suspension. In a statement Tatis took responsibility and said he will start his 80-game suspension immediately.
In a recent statement Tatis addressed the controversy saying “I want to apologize to Peter, AJ, the entire Padres organization, my teammates, Major League Baseball, and fans everywhere for my mistake. I have no excuse for my error, and I would never do anything to cheat or disrespect this game I love…”
Last year Tatis signed a 14-year, $340 million contract with the Padres. As part of his punishment he will forfeit about $3.2 million, according to the MLB. The Padres recently added left fielder Juan Soto and first baseman Josh Bell to their team. The Padres were hoping that this trade along with the return of Tatis would level up their lineup. However, the team now has to face the rest of the season without one of their star players. Some fans expressed their disappointment to CBS 8 in San Diego, but did not seem worried about the outcome of the season.