Beyoncé Strikes Back, Rosalía Returns, and More
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. On TikTok, hits from superstars like Beyoncé and Rosalía coexist alongside songs from rising artists and legacy acts to create a fascinating intersection of subcultures and genres. Take a look at the most exciting music stories to take over TikTok in recent days:
- Fresh off the release of her critically acclaimed seventh solo album RENAISSANCE, Beyoncé is inspiring TikTok creators to tap into their inner superstar. After fans and creators recently celebrated her single “BREAK MY SOUL”–and the superstar and icon Queen Bey gave the love right back with her first-ever TIkTok–the BeyHive on TikTok anointed “ALIEN SUPERSTAR” (47k video creations) as the next RENAISSANCE track to obsess over. With “Alien Superstar,” fans are feeling eclectic and ethereal, using the celestial track to soundtrack their fabulous struts through the city, stunning gem-studded outfit transformations, and adorable “soft life” vlogs of well-traveled 4 year olds. An album full of danceable highlights, It’s only a matter of time before yet another RENAISSANCE track inspires a new TikTok trend.
- In singer-songwriter Noah Kahan’s home state of Vermont, locals mark the short time between Fall and Winter after the leaves fall and the snow arrives. Kahan’s heartfelt folk ballad “Stick Season” perfectly encapsulates the mix of longing and hopefulness that the season represents, as he sings about the pain and necessity that comes from a meaningful change. The passionately-sung acoustic guitar ballad is starting to trend on TikTok, catching the attention of pro musicians like Zach Bryan, Maisie Peters and Stephen Sanchez, who performed their own covers of the song, and talented TikTok users who’ve added their own harmonies or fiddle parts to the song. Powered in part by Noah’s enthusiasm on TikTok, and touching videos of Noah performing the song at his old summer camp (over 1.1 million views), “Stick Season” is climbing the Spotify streaming charts, where it peaked in the Top 50.
- Jacksonville rhymer Nardo Wick blew up on TikTok in 2021 with his foot-stomping single “Who Want Smoke?,” and now the 20-year-old artist is back for more. Nardo’s new trap banger “Dah Dah DahDah” contains an interpolation of the classic (and TikTok favorite) hit “Tom’s Diner” by Suzanne Vega, but the TikTok community gravitated to a different moment in the song: a surprising interlude that samples the “Gingerbread Man” nursery rhyme before returning to the instrumental. The “Gingerbread Man” interlude inspired a joyful dance trend that contrasts the menacing mood of the rest of the song. With over 114k video creations, the song inspired dances in football pads, on ice skates, and with mood-boosting significant others. The song from the recent Who Is Nardo Wick?? (Deluxe) is achieving success off of TikTok as well, with over 4 million Spotify streams since its late July release.
- Rising artist KTLYN first earned notice on TikTok and beyond when her verse on Russ’s “Handsomer” #OpenVerseChallenge impressed the rapper enough that he included it on the official version. Released via TikTok’s all-in-one distribution platform SoundOn, KTLYN and Russ’s version of “Handsomer” eventually reached the Billboard Hot 100 and racked up over 35 million Spotify streams. Determined to prove her haters wrong and show that she’s much more than a one-hit wonder, KTLYN recently released “BIG MAD,” generating yet another trending moment on TikTok. Teased in late July and released last Friday, “BIG MAD” gives TikTok creators an ideal response to haters in the comments, allowing them to stunt on their motherhood prowess, showcase feats of strength, or just serve side-eye. Powered by 57k video creations in less than two weeks, “Big Mad” debuted at #3 on iTunes Hip-Hop/Rap Singles chart and racked up over 181k Spotify streams in just a week of official release.
- One of Latin music’s biggest stars,TikTok favorite ROSALÍA is having another major moment on the platform with her new single “DESPECHÁ.” Amassing over 684K creations, the song is sparking the party vibes and a new viral dance choreographed by @alexchentsov. The dance fits any and every occasion, as creators attempt the moves at home with their families, at work, and even while trying on quinceanera dresses. ROSALÍA is loving the dance herself, hitting the moves everywhere from her kitchen to the beach with her crew.
- Sofia Carson won over the hearts of the TikTok community with her heart-wrenching ballad “Come Back Home” (25.8K+ creations). The song, which plays a major role in the hit Netflix film Purple Hearts, inspires creators to reflect on the film and the meaning of the song, as they swoon over the romance in the film, relate to the love story of having a partner in the military, and comedically question some of the film’s quirks. Sofia has been engaging with the sound on her own account, posting the trailer of the film last month and sharing a clip of her first live performance of the song on Jimmy Fallon last week.